Your signature is a representation of you, whether in your personal or professional life. Think of it as your written identity. How you sign documents reflects your style and personality.
So, when you hand write a signature, you’re creating a unique mark that’s like no other. So how do you go about creating a handwritten signature? Can you do it online?
Let’s find out.
What Is Handwriting a Signature?
A handwritten signature is a manually written signature using a pen or pencil on paper to verify a document. It’s also known as a “wet” signature because ink is often used, which means it requires time to dry. In most cases, handwritten signatures involve writing a name in a stylized, cursive format.
But does a signature have to be handwritten? Not necessarily. In fact, electronic signatures may be a better way of signing documents. While there are many cases in which you’ll use a handwritten or “wet” signature, we’re moving more towards a digital version where you can create a handwritten signature online. There are many online signature solutions that make it easy for you to create a handwritten signature.
How Do I Create My Handwritten Signature?
Everyone needs a signature to sign and verify important documents. Whether you’re signing a document in your personal life or need to verify a document for your job or business, you need a signature to complete the process. Your signature features unique characteristics to represent who you are.
Maybe you want to change up your signature or just haven’t developed a signature that represents you. So, you might be asking, “How should I write my signature?”
Below are some tips for creating a unique, professional signature that will help you leave a good impression in a variety of situations.
- Think about what you want your signature to convey. You’ll be using signatures at very important moments in your life, whether you’re filling out job onboarding paperwork or buying a new home. Since these moments are so crucial, you probably don’t want to sign your name any kind of way. So, be intentional about the kind of message you want your signature to convey. Do you want to convey that you’re a straightforward person? Or do you want it to signal that you’re strong? Do you want to seem sophisticated? For example, a complex signature in a stylized format might convey sophistication and a sense of style.
- Consider each letter in your name. When you look at some people’s signatures, you may have noticed that they draw attention to certain letters. Often, letters that are tall stand out the most, such as an ‘L’ or a ‘Y’. Other letters have a unique, distinctive look when capitalized, such as a ‘G’, ‘J’ or ‘R’.
- Pick which parts of your name to include in your signature. Maybe when using signatures for personal reasons, you may not want to include your full name. In this case, you could just use your initials or just the first letter of your name followed by your full last name, or vice versa.
- Try out different styles. After you’ve figured out what message you want your signature to convey and determined what to include in your signature, it’s time to experiment with different styles. Maybe you want a classic, cursive signature. Or perhaps you want to exaggerate certain letters even more. Doing so can make your signature even more unique.
Did You Know You Can Create an Online Handwritten Signature?
After creating your handwritten signature, you can use the same signature online. This allows you to add your handwritten signature to online documents and within your email signature.
To do that, you just have to write your signature on a clear sheet of paper. Then, use a scanner and scan your signature into your computer. Then, save your scanned signature as an image file (e.g. .png, .jpg). Consider writing your signature in deep black ink so that it looks sharper.
After that, you can use an electronic signature service to sign your signature on different documents.
But that’s not the only way to create an online handwritten signature. You can also draw your signature by moving the cursor of your mouse.
There are several advantages to using an online signature service to create a handwritten signature.
Benefits of handwritten signature online include:
- Sign anytime and anywhere. Perhaps one of the most important benefits of an online handwritten signature is that you can sign it at any time or anywhere. Some digital signature software allows you to create a handwritten signature using your finger, mouse, or even a stylus pen.
- Reduce costs and paperwork. You can significantly modernize and streamline your business processes by using online signatures. You can save a ton of money because you won’t have to worry about using so much paper to get documents assigned.
- Legally valid signature. Electronic signatures are legally binding So, when you draw a signature online and send it to the other party involved in the transaction, the signature is considered completely legal. This means that your document is safe and there’s a low risk of someone tampering with it.
- Authentic signature. Handwritten signatures online are also great to use because they’re truly authentic. That’s because they’re pretty much identical to your original signature on paper, or at least strongly resemble it. So, when using your handwritten signature online, you don’t have to worry about its authenticity. It’ll still be real, valid, and highly useful.
So, should you use an electronic signature, or a “wet” signature? If you want a signature that’s difficult to forge, tamper with, change, and access, it’s best to use an electronic signature.
Create a Handwritten Signature With jSign
A handwritten signature creates a unique way to sign your name. jSign is an online e-signature service that makes it easy for you to create a handwritten signature that leaves an indelible mark on the world and the documents you sign. Ready to get started? Sign up for a free trial today!